Monday, February 20, 2012

Freezer Egg McMuffins and Calzones

My poor poor freezer co-op group gets to be the guinea pig right along with my family these days.  I always said I wouldn't spring an "un-tried" recipe on the entire group, but let's just say that didn't last very long!  I wanted to tackle smaller quantities of two different individual items for our group this month so I made Egg McMuffins and individually sized Pepperoni Calzones.

For the Egg McMuffins, I cooked the eggs in muffin tins.  They took about 20 minutes at 350.  I am going to seek out some jumbo muffin tins as I think they might be a better fit on the english muffins.  I toasted the split english muffins while my eggs were cooking just on a rack below the eggs.  I also used good ol' Kraft American singles as my cheese to keep with the "authentic-y" McDonald's flavor.  I wrapped in a square of wax paper and then placed 4 in a gallon sized ziploc.  To reheat, I would wrap them in a moist paper towel and cook for maybe 20-30 seconds then I would toast the english muffin and then cook the insides a little more in the micro and re-assemble, but I'm kinda weard about soggy bread that way.  :)


For the Calzones, I bought the frozen loaves of bread.  I used one loaf per family to make 4 calzones.  I mixed 2 packages of regular pepperoni, 2 packages of turkey pepperoni, 8 cups of mozzarella cheese, and about 2 cups of marinara sauce for the filling.  I put the loaves in my "bread proof" setting on my oven and we watched them rise and rise and rise. 


I took out one loaf at a time, rolled it out, cut into fourths, put an ice cream scooper worth of goo in the middle, and did my best to form some sort of calzone-ish shape.  It was a bit of a mess.  :)  I brushed with a little italian seasoning and canola oil and put them in the oven to par-bake them at 350.  To re-heat, I thawed them in the fridge and then microwaved them for 30 seconds and then stuck them in the toaster oven (see weird bread sogginess issues above).

In case you can't tell by now, I suck at all things "recipe."  I'm not a baker because I don't like to measure.  I'm the queen of the improvise which makes for a terrible food-blogger.  :(


No comments:

Post a Comment